The good (for the two-week period ending 4/6/2012:
- Good Friday
- Good Fridays (the kind where your boss lets you out early on a sunny day)
- Hard-to-schedule interviews that, once scheduled, turn out stellar
- Cocaine shaped like shoes. (I mean, obviously cocaine is bad, but painstakingly crafting it into Manolo Blahniks to sneak it through airport security? That's at least got some class)
- Feeling inspired. Even gooder? Acting on that inspiration
- This chick.
Barf. And no comments on her physical appearance, please. She's not objectionable because she isn't as attractive as she thinks; she's objectionable because she's obnoxious. (Now, this guy, on the other hand…)
Throughout my adult life, I've regularly had bottles of bubbly or wine sent to my restaurant table by men I don't know. Once, a well-dressed chap bought my train ticket when I was standing behind him in the queue, while there was another occasion when a charming gentleman paid my fare as I stepped out of a cab in Paris.
While I'm no Elle Macpherson, I'm tall, slim, blonde and, so I'm often told, a good-looking woman. I know how lucky I am. But there are downsides to being pretty--the main one being that other women hate me for no other reason than my lovely looks.
1. Carly Simon, "You're So Vain"
2. TLC, "Unpretty"
3. 311, "Beautiful Disaster"
4. Blossom Dearie, "Wait Till You See Her"
5. The Black Keys, "Grown So Ugly"
6. REM, "At My Most Beautiful"
7. Avril Lavigne, "Losing Grip"
8. Plain White T's, "Hate (I Don't Really Like You)"
9. Pet Shop Boys, "Jealousy"
10. Sixpence None the Richer, "There She Goes"
Compliments on my enduring beauty, and your Ten, go in comments.