Friday, November 30, 2012

On the Good, the Bad, and the Friday Random Ten: Red and Black edition

Okay, so this is a big weekend for me for two reasons: One, the Georgia Bulldogs are in the SEC Championship Game, and if they win they face Notre Dame for the national championship, and I don't care folks are saying, we have a chance at a win. As long as I wear my red-and-black-striped toe socks. Which I totally will.

The other big part of the weekend is that Saturday is December 1, which means I get to start decorating the house for Christmas. Which I will be doing every moment I'm not watching football, meaning that by sundown our house is going to look like it just got brutally attacked by one of those Christmas Villages that pop up in the retail spaces vacated by Spirit Halloween Store shortly after Halloween.

So that's two things that are good this weekend. But wait! There's more!


What's good (for the indeterminate period ending 11/30):

- Dame Judi Dench. I loved her in the new Bond movies, I love her in "As Time Goes By," and I love her even more knowing she embroiders charming little needlepoint pillows that say "You Are a Fucking Shit." She's on my list of women I want to have lunch with, along with Tilda Swinton, Viola Davis, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, and Jennifer Lawrence (just for variety).

- My imaginary lunch with Judi Dench, Tilda Swinton, Viola Davis, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, and Jennifer Lawrence

- Okay, fan videos are kind of silly, but it's a fun kind of silly. Case in point: Georgia fans' most recent effort leading up to the SEC Championship Game.


- Splat temporary hair color, which is great for, say, giving yourself UGA-red highlights in preparation for the SEC Championship Game.

- The SEC Championship Game. Go Dawgs.


What's bad:

- Thanksgiving leftover sandwiches. Wait, did I say they're bad? They're actually fantastic--if people remember to bring you leftovers as they swing through town on their way home, since you yourself were deprived of Thanksgiving with your family because you were obliged to spend it with your outlaws. But that's okay. Spending the holiday away from my family and then not getting even a single bite of my mom's turkey and chestnut dressing isn't painful to me in the least. I'm fine.
- This asshole, who thinks his wife's infertility is a great opportunity to find white donor eggs and make a white baby, instead of using her Asian eggs that would result in a half-Asian baby. Seriously.


The Ten

1. Milano, "Sweet & Sour"
2. Mel Carter, "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me"
3. Party Ben, "(All I Want You To Do Is Be) My Reckoner"
4. Beck, "Where It's At"
5. Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up the Sun"
6. Henryk Gorecki, "Already It Is Dusk" (performed by the Kronos Quartet)
7. Pet Shop Boys, "Losing My Mind"
8. The Byrds, "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)"
9. Kula Shaker, "Tattva"
10. Ke$ha, "TiK ToK"

See you after the game, y'all. Go Dawgs.

No comments: