Okay, so New Year's Eve (which is tomorrow, in case you haven't picked out your cheap outfit, your cheap date and your cheap champagne alternative) is really a time to look back on the past year, take stock of everything you've accomplished, and revel in the progress you've made since New Year's a year ago. In theory, anyway. In reality, we tend to look back on last New Year's and realize that we're actually in the same damn spot: marital status, financial status, job, even party venue, same, same, same. Not better, not even worse, just the same. That, I think, is why we drink so much on New Year's Eve.
On that happy note, the Ten. The first one is in honor of the holiday; I'm not going to lie and tell you it popped up there by itself. The rest, though, are random.
1. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, "Auld Lang Syne"
2. Kula Shaker, "Govinda"
3. Queens of the Stoneage, "Little Sister"
4. Basement Jaxx, "Red Alert"
5. The Beatles, "Love Me Do"
6. Franz Schubert, "Lebensmut" from Schwanengesang
7. Blossom Dearie, "Blossom's Blues"
8. Franz Schubert, "Ihr Bild" from Schwanengesang
9. Kay Starr, "My Man"
10. Ella Fitzgerald, "Wait Till You See Him (De-Phazz Remix)"
Dare I try and interpret any of this as a prediction for the coming year? I think I dare not, although Lebensmut sounds promising (note: has nothing to do with smut; translates as life courage or similar, which also sounds promising). Feel free to take your own stab at interpreting, and of course your ten go in comments.