Friday, February 03, 2006

On Friday Random Ten, and some random items

Okay, so here's a bit of stream-of-consciousness for a nice Free Association Friday.

Item: I was a few minutes late this morning because Michael Bublé was performing on the Today Show, showing that even a blind Katie Couric can find a hot, delicious, smoky-voiced Canadian truffle once in a while. What is it about Canada? Is it the water up there? Does socialized health care result in smokin' hot menfolk? Studies should be performed.

Item: Erin pointed me to this gem, another faceoff between feminist Kate Michelman and Sister F***er Kate O'Beirne. I would seriously love to know which women, exactly, are getting so castigated for choosing family over career. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm not going to give credence to that argument until someone can show me an example. Oh, and late-term abortions account for less than one percent of all abortions performed, so if you want to be up in arms over something, try the fact that Congress is cutting money from programs providing prenatal care and vaccine research so that guys can get a Medicare-sponsored boner.

Item: I did something unethical today. A bunch of guys on the elevator this morning were picking on one of their friends for wearing a (not unattractive) button-down shirt with a few pink stripes on it. They were ragging on him hard, asking if it was from the "Brokeback Collection" (okay, so that was pretty funny), and although he was shooting back at them, it was obvious that it really bothered him. So as I got off the elevator, I mentioned that I'm a fashion writer, and that pink on men is "totally hot," a statement which, I'm proud to say, shut them up fairly effectively and made the poor guy smile. The problem? I hate pink on men, and it's not "totally hot." Coral, maybe, in the summer, but pink, even alongside gray and black, is just wrong. The lesson you should take from this is that men shouldn't wear pink so I don't have to tell lies in elevators, and that when you pick on your friends it only makes you look like a jerk.

The Ten:

1. Jump, Little Children, "Violent Dreams"
2. Hepburn, "I Quit"
3. Athenaeum, "Different Situation"
4. The Beatles, "She Loves You"
5. Evanescence, "Where Will You Go"
6. Cake, "The Distance"
7. Jewel, "Standing Still"
8. Snoop Dogg, "What's My Name"
9. Cibo Matto, "Moonchild"
10. Dinah Washington, "Alone Together"

Granola rock, pop, granola rock, brit pop, goth pop, alt rock, sugar pop... Snoop Dogg. I feel like putting my hair up in pigtails and knocking over a liquor store.

No comments: