Sunday, May 28, 2006

On Michael Hayden: This Is Your Soundtrack

Okay, so the Senate Intelligence Committee voted 12-3 to recommend Michael Hayden as the new CIA chief.

I can't say that I don't have a little bit of trouble with the thought of the man in charge of President Bush's warrantless wiretapping program now in charge of the CIA (although the fact that he'd be spying on other people and not, hopefully, violating the civil liberties of Americans is somewhat comforting). Now that I think about it, that sort of cloak-and-dagger surveillance does seem more suited to the James Bond-ish stuff you always associate with the Central Intelligence Agency, so he might be well suited.

My only question there would concern Hayden's apparent affection for wiretapping and data mining, when some former CIA operatives have said that such impersonal and removed methods have resulted in the problems we've been having in recent years, and that the real solution is less technology and analysis and more actual human contact. But what do I know? I'm just an American citizen who'd love to keep both my civil liberties and my nation's security by any means necessary.

Anyway, this Not-Even-Friday, Not-Even-Random, Not-Even-Ten goes out to CIA Michael Hayden. Stay the hell out of my underwear drawer and my e-mail inbox, Mike.

The Not-Ten:

1. Johnny Rivers, "Secret Agent Man"
2. Guster, "I Spy"
3. U2, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
4. Hatebreed, "I Will Be Heard"
5. Billie Holiday, "I'll Be Seeing You"
6. El Bosco, "Satellite"
7. Barenaked Ladies, "Call and Answer"
8. Skunk Anansie, "Secretly"
9. Take 6, "Like the Whole World's Watching"

Your whatever goes below.

No comments: