Friday, April 24, 2009

On the Good, the Bad, and the Friday Random Ten

Okay, so our TGTBATFRT is fairly tech-y this week, because I've been involved in some rather tech-y involvements. It's weird; I've never really been all that computerish, nor desired to be all that computerish, but over the past few days, I've spent more time face-down in my tiny, tiny computer than I have in just about any activity. Like sleeping.

What's good (for the week ending 4/24):

- tiny, tiny computers. It's not big enough to do much more than write stuff and surf the Internet, but then, I bought it to pretty much do those two things. Anything else is gravy.
- open-sourceness. Carefully crafting a code creation, then leaving the guts of it out in the open for others to fiddle with and improve upon, usually at no cost. A community of developers who not only give their stuff away but encourage others to improve upon it and pass it along. Now, that's generous. And stupid, kind of. But generous.
- open-source stuff. I'm currently able to manipulate images on my new tiny, tiny computer through the generosity of GIMP, and while it's not quite as spiffy as Photoshop, the few missing features count for little when compared to the absolute lack of price.
- those funny e-mail forwards that promise to make you laugh out loud, but they never do, except this time, it does
- Emerald roasted walnuts

What's bad:

- conscience clauses
- this thing I can't talk about yet. But the upshot of it is that I'm HOSED.

The Ten:

1. OMD, "Electricity"
2. Etta James, "The Very Thought of You"
3. Chicane, "From Blue to Green"
4. Dean Martin, "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You"
5. Richard Cheese, "You Oughta Know"
6. Ben Folds Five, "Brick"
7. OMD, "Secret"
8. Pet Shop Boys, "We Came From Outer Space"
9. Frank Sinatra, "The House I Live In"
10. Frederic Chopin, "No. 13 in C Minor, Op. 48-1" from Piano Works

In other news, I read a quote the other day that made - and rather summed up - my life.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Anyone who can tell me the attribution of that quote will win one (1) chocolate pavlova on a delicate, blown-glass plate in a large, unpadded box. Otherwise, your Ten goes in comments.

No comments: