Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On spring inbox cleaning

Okay, so I looked over my e-mail accounts - and yes, I'm still holding on to several of them, for reasons I don't entirely understand - and realized how much of my inbox(es) is taken up with forwards that are fun, but not really the kinds of things I desperately need to hold onto forever. But they're really funny.

It's time to make some room for new forwards and funny crap that I'll view once and hold onto, only to never look at it again. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is the Practically Harmless Cavalcade of Stuff That's Worth Seeing - Once.

I'll start with a gem from August 30, 2006 (no, I'm not even kidding): Kitten vs. Powerbook


kitten vs. frontrow from mattcoats on Vimeo.

Moving on: October 30, 2007: The 10 Most Terrifyingly Inspirational 80s Songs:
Great music can inspire us to do anything: love one another, protest an unjust war, make sweet, sweet love to a large black man in the 1970s.

But in the '80s there were a series of songs that inspired us to kick ass in every way possible. None inspired more ass kicking than these.

Selections range from Europe's "The Final Countdown" and Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero" up to a not-really-unpredictable number one that you'll have to click over to read. But don't do that quite yet, because we're only up to

November 13, 2007: Bereavement Stew
2 lbs. beef stew pieces
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 cup red wine (the cheaper, the better)
1 can French onion soup

Place meat in a large casserole dish. Add all other ingredients. Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Serve over wide noodles or rice, as desired.

Others might call it beef stroganoff; to us, it will always be Bereavement Stew, because it's the condolence dish of choice for any friend or family member who loses a loved one. It's easy to cook, it's easy to share, and it reheats well repeatedly when you just don't feel like cooking.

May 21, 2008: An Engineer's Guide to Cats



"Corporal cuddling" really should gain traction as a more widely accepted method of behavior modification. We have more cats on

September 23, 2008: Cat Adopts Rabbit (h/t Cute Overload):



And we'll close with teh cute that makes me think of my own sled puppy:
dog
see more dog and puppy pictures

Okay, on second thought, the bereavement stew I'll probably hold onto. The rest? Sorry, kids.

I hope you enjoyed this randomness as much as I did. Don't try to permalink, though. Yeah, they were funny. They were definitely worth seeing - once.

No comments: