Tuesday, January 04, 2011

On feeling free to tell

Okay, so I know I'm late to the game, but I wanted to congratulate the country on the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. It's encouraging to know that this is where we've come--our elected officials, frequently so much more conservative than their constituents and less willing to rock the boat (or mine are, at least) have made a surprising stand against discrimination in the name of both fairness and reason. America's gay soldiers, airmen, and Marines no longer have to worry about the potential consequences for simply serving their country. The entire nation can enjoy stronger security knowing that some of our top troops are no longer being booted out because of their sexual orientations. And I know this is kind of flowery and optimistic on my part, but I like thinking that with every decision like this, the U.S. becomes a little freer and a little more accepting, and kids growing up in it (and, for that matter, adults who are increasingly open to change) will be better off than the ones who had to grow up in an environment of ignorance and fear.

I do have other commentary on the subject, but that's for later--I wanted to save this post for sincere congratulations on a happy, promising occasion. Mazel, mazel. Good things.

No comments: