Tuesday, January 04, 2011

On working on Christmas (from the warehouse)

Periodically, a post is written that's timely and brilliant but for whatever reason doesn't get published and ends up tucked away, Ark of the Covenant-like, and forgotten about. (Periodically, this also happens to crappy posts.) Periodically, I choose to bring such posts out into the light for the pleasure of my adoring reader. This is one of those times.

Okay, so apparently, if there's one thing we can't expect our legislators to do, it's legislate when they'd rather be doing something else.
"You can't jam a major arms control treaty right before Christmas," [Senator Jim DeMint] told POLITICO. "What's going on here is just wrong. This is the most sacred holiday for Christians. They did the same thing last year--they kept everybody here until (Christmas Eve) to force something down everybody's throat. I think Americans are sick of this."


Let's break it down.

You can't jam a major arms control treaty right before Christmas.

Well, for one, obviously you can jam it in there, because they just did. But Amanda at Pandagon points out that "they," in this case, could arguably be the Republicans--they're the ones stalling and filibustering every piece of legislation that passes their desks, forcing everyone to work late into the season to get the important stuff accomplished. That's just poor planning, from where I'm sitting.

This is the most sacred holiday for Christians.

Actually, that's Easter. (I wonder if anyone's asked Eric Cantor how he feels about working on Yom Kippur.)

I think Americans are sick of this.

I don't actually know how many Americans are sick of you working on Christmas Eve. I know that when my dad, a doctor, has to take call Christmas Eve, I get pretty sick of it; I also know that his patients would be pretty sick of him not being available to do his job when needed. I also know that, judging from the fact that my house has electricity and I got milk from that convenience store and firetrucks responded to that chimney fire that time, other Americans also are working on Christmas Eve, although maybe they're not as important as you because they're not… as important, I guess. Or whatever.*

I also know that a lot of Americans are sick of our elected officials finding any excuse available to avoid doing the one job we hire them to do.

The angel said, "On earth peace, good will toward men." Like a nuclear arms treaty. Less with the whining, more with the legislating. Then 'nog.

*Other people who have worked on Christmas: George Washington, Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Apollo 8 crew, priests, soup kitchens, my great-grandmother, Santa. Not working Christmas Day: German and British troops during the Christmas Truce of 1914. Peace on earth.

No comments: