Friday, January 25, 2008

On the good, the bad, and the Friday Random Ten


In good taste and very, very bad

Okay, so what a week it's been. Martin Luther King, Jr. had a dream. Tom Cruise had a whacked-out sci-fi fantasy. Britney Spears had a new personality that thought it still had kids. And me? Well, I had a pinot-grigio-fueled nightmare that I was trapped inside Amy Winehouse's beehive. But that's all over now, because it's Friday.

(Incidentally, every time I upload pictures to Flickr, it invites me to "Save This Batch," and every time I think I'm being invited to Save This Biatch. Which isn't a bad idea. If anyone needs saving, it's this biatch right here.)

What's good (for the week ending 1/25):

- Cloverfield. Seriously, an incredible movie. Not so graphic that I had to watch it filtered through my fingers, but I did have my hand over my mouth the entire time (and I don't know why people do that, and I never thought I did it, but apparently, I do). The (ironically named) Steadicam did send me home craving peppermint tea to calm my stomach, but even if I'd had to yark in the bushes outside of the theatre, it would have been totally worth it.
- C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine in Vanilla Malt Shake
- pot roast on a cold night. And we've had some (some cold nights, and some pot roast). I had the misfortune to be up at 4:45 Sunday morning taking my cousin to the airport, and my hardy little German-made car decided that 17 degrees with a wind chill of 12 was precisely the temperature at which she no longer wanted to function. I'd have been mad, but I really couldn't blame her.
- the "Bit O' Blues" radio station on iTunes
- red lipstick to lift a lousy mood

What's bad:

- folks profiting from a tragedy. Come on, people, a person has actually died. Can we maybe leave the loved ones to their grief without a) speculating or b) jumping on the grief train? And this guy is just a scum.
- liars

The Ten:

1. Sarah Brightman, "Only an Ocean Away"
2. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"
3. Shirley Bassey, "Big Spender"
4. Poe, "Fingertips"
5. Nina Simone, "See-Line Woman"
6. P.O.D., "Boom"
7.The Isely Brothers, "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)"
8. Nanci Griffith, "Workin' In Corners"
9. Pet Shop Boys, "Casanova in Hell"
10. Guster, "Window" (live, with Jump, Little Children)


Funny story: I can't really figure what predictions this Ten might make for the coming weekend, but it describes the past week almost precisely. And no, I won't tell you how. What's good for you this week?

No comments: