Friday, January 11, 2008
On the good, the bad, and the Friday Random Ten
Trust me, you never think to buy them 'til it's already pouring down.
Okay, so it seems like this week was really focused on Hillary Clinton and the stuff she's been putting up with, and that's probably because that's what's been going on and has been interesting. I kind of hate primaries season because, as necessary as it is in our current political system, it's kind of a crappy way to choose a candidate. You're given a field of five or eight candidates who, all being of one party and probably within the "moderate" limits of said party (the 'wingers are pretty much there for entertainment value) and they argue about which of them best represents the values of that party. It's like trying to pick the plaid-est out of a drawerful of plaid socks. Once they've differentiated themselves just a bit and the field narrows, it turns into a monkeyhouse poop-fight wherein each candidate and his/her supporters try to point out exactly why the other candidates suck deeply and should go back where they came from. Then, once a candidate is chosen, everyone who's just spent the last three months slagging him/her off like he/she is depravity incarnate and Satan and Pete Wentz (but I repeat myself) now turns around to talk about how their candidate is, in fact, the very height of awesome and we always liked him/her and it's the other guy who's scum.
Yeah, that'll work.
So at this point, as much as I love my buddy Barack, I'm still counting the days (and it's still, like, 230 or something) until we have a nominee and a platform and can get down to the actual, non-circular-firing-squad-ish business of putting a decent chief executive into the Oval Office.
Lots going on until then, though.
What's good (for the week ending 1/11):
- Naomi Watts's boots in Eastern Promises
- Viggo Mortensen's tats in Eastern Promises (what can I say? Bad boys have their appeal)
- putting your hot guy in and riding him all night (at a football game. Man, you've got a dirty mind)
- gushing, crashing, crackling thunderstorms as seen from the other side of a sturdy window and a steaming cup of tea
- kicky rain boots
- not having kicky rain boots when it starts raining
- getting assaulted by a face-pinching Tweety Bird
1. Chicane, "Lost You Somewhere"
2. Elton John, "But Not For Me"
3. ZZ Top, "Legs"
4. Ben Folds Five, "Brick"
5. Evanescence, "Whisper"
6. The Drifters, "Save the Last Dance for Me"
7. Carl Orff, "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana
8. Serge Gainsbourg, "Wake Me at Five"
9. The Clash, "Something About England"
10. Downright, "Drinking the Dregs"
And on a personal note here, best of luck and comfort and healing to a certain Practically Harmless regular who recently laid his bike down doing 60. If y'all need anything at all, you know where to find me. Anything good for you this week? Anything?