Friday, January 18, 2008

On the good, the bad, and the Friday Random Ten


Smart and funny; neither.

Okay, so I think that getting work to do during our slow period (also known as "pretty much all winter") is more unpleasant and arduous than it is during our blisteringly heavy period because people don't prioritize. Wrapping up a student recruitment campaign in August, we know exactly where every postcard, brochure, and viewbook needs to be and when it needs to get there, and it might mean working late, but it gets done, by God. January brings account executives Lumberghing into my office and saying things like, "Yeeeeah, we haven't talked about this, but I've been talking to the School of Medicine about a video we're doing for them, and if you could go ahead and interview some people and get a script written up, that would be great. Just a five-minute video with an intro and some voiceovers and those interviews would be great. And I'm gonna need you to go ahead and get that to me by the end of the day today. Yeeeeah." Thus Friday has come with the thundering speed of a frozen turd rolling uphill. It's also come with snow -- just a little bit, just on the rooftops -- which makes it an awesome week regardless.

What's good (for the week ending 1/18):

- Oreo Candy Bites 100-calorie packs
- the BSC Headquarters
- Juno
- Atonement (seriously, one of the most visually stunning films I've seen in my life, and I've seen some)
- hip-hop violin

What's bad:

- theocracy
- in hindsight, pretty much the entirety of the Baby-Sitters Club series

The Ten:

1. Frederic Chopin, "Nocturne No. 17 in B Major"
2. Wolfsheim, "Once in a Lifetime"
3. Claude Debussy, "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" from Children's Corner
4. Frank Sinatra, "Too Marvelous for Words"
5. Evanescence, "Taking Over Me"
6. Pet Shop Boys, "Fugitive (Richard X Extended Mix)"
7. Michael Bublé, "Come Fly With Me"
8. Kermit Venable and the BeauBassin Cajun Band, "Back of Town"
9. Nickel Creek, "When You Come Back Down"
10. The Rolling Stones, "Blinded by Rainbows"

I'm not really sure how to interpret that as a prediction for my weekend. Maybe I'll appear smarter and more cultured than I actually am. That could be cool.

How was your week? That, your ten, and your childhood favorites that don't hold up on further examination go in comments.

No comments: