Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On human rights, Part - Where are we now? Part V?

Okay, so I'm back! And I'm... eh, if I'm not any better, I'm fairly sure I'm no worse than ever. As the best way to shake the dust of the past week from my sandals is to jump right back in where I left off, we're going to be looking at articles 7 and 8 of the UDHR. And what a couple of articles they are:
Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 8.

Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

But what does this mean for me?

These two are pretty self-explanatory. Everyone, without discrimination - that's everyone, people, as in every one, each person - has the right to protection of his rights. It seems kind of tautological, sure, but it's still important, because Article 7 is the one that keeps the state from saying, "So your human rights are being violated, huh? Meh." And Article 8 says that if your rights are violated, a competent, non-kangaroo-courty tribunal must be available to hear your complaints and appropriately punsh any guilty parties.

Just answer the question already.

It means that everyone, no matter the circumstances, has the right to equal protection of the law, and that if these rights happen to be violated, some wigs are gonna get split.

Part I: The Preamble; Part II: Articles 1 and 2; Part III: Articles 3 and 4; Part IV: Articles 5 and 6

Stay tuned for Part VI, where we look at Articles 9 and 10, wherein a couple of my favorite commenters start to get noisy (honestly, guys, I love you. I really do. Yes, you, too).

No comments: