Tuesday, December 26, 2006

On happy returns

Okay, so I'm back, as promised. Christmas was truly lovely, a small affair with just the immediate family. Not that I don't love the rest of my family, but it's nice to have a small, close-knit group for all of the important traditions: midnight Mass, It's a Wonderful Life, The Muppet Christmas Carol, watching the Redskins lose valiantly to the Rams, and this thing with apples and walnuts and honey and oplatke that would take a while to explain. And, of course, an embarrassment of presents; you know you're getting old when your favorite gifts include a laser level and three pairs of tights, and when you have as much fun watching other people opening their gifts as you do opening your own.

Anyway, I do fully intend to return to my usual spittle-flecked political ranting shortly, but I wanted to get out at least one post of peace and happiness and gratitude and best wishes. I hope your holidays (whichever you observed) were/are lovely, and I wish you a New Year's Eve full of champagne and someone to kiss and no hangover the next morning.

We now return you to your previously scheduled ranting.

No comments: